Counseling is a unique profession. It requires you to understand human nature and have a deep understanding of one's limitations since your goal is to help people heal. If you're still not sure if it's for you, this article has some great benefits that might change your mind!
Different Fields of Counselors
- School therapists: counselors specializing with students and teachers.
- Mental well-being counselors: counselors specializing with patients suffering from mental illness or trauma.
- Career counselors: counselors who help people find the right job for them.
- Rehabilitation counselors: counselors who work with disabled or chronically ill people.
- Child counselors: counselors who help children deal with trauma, grief, or self-esteem issues.
Reasons Why Becoming Counselor Is Worth It
This is the most obvious reason why being a counselor is worth it. You get to help people and see their progress. Such accomplishment can be more meaningful than earning money or getting promotions in other fields of psychology jobs.
Focusing on personal growth
While counseling psychology careers can be stressful at times, counselors also find a lot of satisfaction in helping others. So if you'd rather help others than work where you go through the motions, it's worth leaping into this field.
While most psychologists have to agree not to practice on their patients, counselors are exempted from such requirements! This means you will have the chance to work with your clients after they leave your care.
Flexible work hours
Many counselors either give self-help advice via telephone or online or work one-on-one with clients. It means they can set their schedule and continue doing it even after hours or on weekends. There's no such thing as a 9-5 work schedule in counseling psychology careers!
Learning new things
You're likely to become fluent in more than one area of psychology when working as a counselor. This is important because it helps you find out what makes them tick and how they think. And you'll always be learning new things from your mentors as well.
Unlike psychologists, where you have to do many years of undergraduate and graduate studies before being considered a candidate for the job, counselors can start as soon as they finish high school!
Things you could do by becoming a counselor
- Counseling psychology careers are generally good for anyone who wants to learn a lot about people and themselves. If that's something you're interested in, then becoming a counselor might be the answer to your prayers.
- Working in a group or office environment can help you build your leadership skills and develop customer service skills that are very useful in the counseling field.
- Counselors are also great for people who want to focus on helping others without being stuck in one place at a time. If you love to travel and want to help people along the way, then becoming a counselor could be the right choice for you.
- If you don't want to commit to a long-term career as a psychologist but still want to help people along the way, then becoming a counselor might be your best call.
- It's also helpful if you love working in groups and are always willing to help others. This is because counselors often have to work on group projects and solve issues among their patients together.
While you may find counseling psychology jobs stressful at times, there are many reasons why it's worth trying it out. Hopefully, this article has helped you find out more about the benefits offered by this kind of job, and for more information, you can check out places like Careers in Psychology if you want to focus on a career that makes a difference.